1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Arteine's Most Wanted - Dane Althenn, The Disgraced [Str-Dire]

Discussion in 'Hero Ideas' started by NuclearCookie, Jan 31, 2018.

1. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011

The campfire sizzled, its slowly diminishing flame finally dying out. Looking around, Zal found his companions soundly asleep, resting for the long journey in the morning. He knew he had to catch some shut-eye as well. The trip from Bastion to the Tenera desert was a long and arduous one, even if they were going to go around bone elven lands. Yet the the same thought he had had for the past few days returned, clawing at the back of his mind. Tarek Aelos had escaped. Just the thought of his name sent shivers down Zal's spine. Why now, of all possible times? The world was already in a shit place - they had a godkilling crusade in full sway, war between the city states, the bone elven Gray March, and now an undying lunatic on the loose. A lunatic that had destroyed the Spine.

Zal thought back to simpler times. As simple as a moof's life ever was - hunt things too dangerous to die, haul them off to The Spine, lock them up, repeat. It helped that Talon was with him and he didn't have to walk, too. Simpler times. Better times. Duller times.

Until a week ago, when the raven arrived with the news. The Spine - ruined, its guardians - dead, the cells - open, Tarek - escaped. Along with the message came a scroll, one that Zal had quickly hidden from his companions. He knew that if they saw its contents, they'd wish to turn back and help. But getting Vaas to Bazshiig had to come first, lest he lost control of his transformation. The Remnant priests had experience with dying gods, they would surely be of help. No amount of escaped prisoners was a greater danger than Vaas.

Yet Zal was still curious to read the scroll. He knew what it was, of course, without any doubt. A distress call from command, mobilising all moofs. A list of names that each moof had to track down and subdue, at any means necessary.

Curiousity was always Zal's weakness. Without further waiting, he broke the seal. He took a quick glance at the contents and froze. Sweat dripped from his forehead onto the sheet, the hairs on his hands standing up, an overwhelming sense of dread not unlike the one that Tarek Aelos' presence instills gripped Zal's very being.

"Shit."

DANE ALTHENN - THE DISGRACED

[​IMG]

Melee - Carry - Durable - Escape

• ]
    • Case File #17

Prisoner Name: Dane Althenn

Race: Human

Nationality: Statesman - Vermillion

Date of Capture: 11th of Thawing, 971 IC

Capturer: Threnn the Lucid

Cell Level: 7

Renown: Recognised by the Imperial Militairy School, the Vermillion Academy of Sword Arts, the Nosk Warrior Leagues and the Order of the Frozen Sun as one of the ten greatest swordsmen currently alive, ranked 4th. Frontline experience in the War of Succession, the 944, 946 and 949 Ketryn Empire-Vermillion Monarchy border disputes on the side of the Monarchy. Highly decorated tactician and general. Pioneer of the sworddancing style of battle. Romanticised in the Tome of Ardents as "A warrior of grace and poise, creating art with the blade, from battle to battle, never stopping, never ending."

Reason for Detainment: Disgraced former crusader. Fought against the demonic incursion led by Shemor, and was believed KIA at The Battle of Usfi. Later found, and returned to active duty. Secretly possessed by an emissary of the Demonic Host. At The Battle at the Gray Gates, massacred his entire platoon and the bone elf regiment present, while letting the incursion pass. Planted the Crusaders' Banner in the corpse of bone elven general Raiio, triggering the current Gray March. All attempts at exorcism failed. Detained with aurelium shackles and triple dampening wards.

Contract assigned to: Zal Teries of the Elden Haven
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  2. ThunderTF2

ThunderTF2 Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Year 2017, still gettin those goose bumps meeting word "innate" in dota concept [​IMG]

reading atm

Innate

Idk.

Q

Too strong?
    Actually it lacks info on ability, no cast thing info (upswing, backswing, animation etc etc)
    Farm alone its OP. Min 13 BF into min 20 bf + 2 slots (no joke)
    Fight - depends (cast thing are unclear). Initiation point > Q > hitty hit > Q > insta W =

W

"All of Dane's abilities generate Fatigue."
    I think you should rephrase this.
    Does it check fatigue while its active?

Example:
    1) You have 70-75-80 Fatigue (q+q, q+w, w+w)
    2) W used
    3) "Silences for a short duration" passes (just like Pudge's Hook thing?, its called "Disable"
    4) You use E or Q, fatigue should be less that 100 AND W should have some time remaining
    5) Time passes
    6) Fatigues gone

Or it check fatigues on cast?

E

Again no info on cast thing.
    Someone should play less OW.

R

Tiredness?
    I guess u meant it reduces duration of innate ability drawback from 6 to 5/4/3

Mr Prophet predicted SOLD OUT storm:
    [​IMG]

Its not like ability is bad, depends on how W works.
    If it works like in a example - Its OP.
    Yet again, its hard to judge without seeing cast animation nubmers.

Talents

10 - dont care
    15, 20 - I dont hate talant system improvement, but i think yours are way too good.
    25 1 talent - dont care
    25 2 talent - 50%+ free global (increases all damage, atleast its what you wrote) bonus dmg?

Aghanims

Thats not fair, dude.
    You can't eat your cake and have it (too).
    Well, you can have it, but in your belly.

Overall, some abilities and stuff i like, but as a whole its OP concept
    I never (i guess \ i hope) played dota imba, but i guess even them does not have such montrosity of a hero.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  3. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011
    Actually, I've been playing torclight 2, and it had a hero with the Fatigue concept which I loved.

About cast/backswing - call me old fashioned, but I still believe that unless explicitly needed, all of the hero's abilities should use the default cast point/backswing thats in the advanced statistics tab. The only statistic that mattered here was turn rate, as two abilities are dependant on hero orientation.

It does say that he is silenced during Respite, so theres no way to gain fatigue during it.

I do have a thing against the talent system in DotA though, and do think it would be better if it was like HotS' one - less passive crap, more ability and gameplay choices and changes. Maybe I should nerf level 25 one, but it does still require 3 seconds of self silence.

Changed Fury to instead generate fatigue on auto attacks, but drain it constantly over time, as having infinite fatigue was too OP.

4. ThunderTF2

ThunderTF2 Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Maybe its wrong to suggest it, cuz im not even yet look over it
    Try to compare HotS ports from OW, it might help you.
    I dont feel this concept ever meeting dota reqs.
    LoL has (had?) some heroes without manapool (but with another resource to use\activate or boost abilities they use)
    Your concept use both mana and fatigue, thats really... wrong? hard to find balance?

5. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011
    dont think so. just making the hero with low cds and reasonably low manacosts balances out well with the fatigue concept. its also the reason his spells are stronger than average.

6. summer-penguin

summer-penguin Moderator Staff Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I would personally enjoy more a hero with low cds and reasonably low manacosts balanced, yes, but w/out the innate.
    Or at least have Fatigue working math-free. Simpler. Easier to predict and plan accordingly.
    Something like this:
    Every time Dane uses an ability he stacks a point of Fatigue. 6 points of Fatigue and Dane wears out, getting his attackspeed and movespeed reduced by 50/50%, and getting silenced.
    This exhaustion and any Fatigue points last 6 seconds.

I like the way Respite is supposed to interact with his innate reversevely. That was neat.

Great art/icons composition btw.
    :santa:

My 5 cents.

Jon likes this.
  7. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011
    Its not that much math though. Fixed costs and all. Plus allows me better fine tuning than X costs 2 fatigue, Y costs 1. Cap 6. With 3 skills to balance against it, I'd rather not make them all the same cost. As for the other balancing, I'm almost positive that my sense of balance hasnt left me yet.

8. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011
    And the Icons are all thanks to you, summer. That thread is bae.

9. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Stats look ok, nothing special. Pretty tanky hard hitter.

The innate is a bit weird, but interesting

Sword Arc is simple yet fun ability. Will be great at mashing through waves, might be a bit too good at clearing creep camps, but then again so is Sven and the mana cost is no joke. Cast point greatly matters here.

Respite makes this hero feel a lot like huskars heal, might be a great spell for him too. The cooldown part is only when the buff is active? Also the cast point is really important here too, it would be nice to use this without stopping for (too long)

Cross Counter might be too good against slow ranged projectiles and I must say I don't like the idea of reflecting attacks. But I do love spiked carapece. The low cooldown might be annoying to play against.

Dashing through cliffs on such a low cooldown makes a hero almost uncatchable, the manacost might make it acceptable, but I doubt it.

The idea is pretty nice, but it might have few too many low cooldown spells.

10. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011
    THERE'S A CAST POINT IN THE ADVANCED STATS TAB FFS

11. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Didn't expand it because I didn't expect it to be there.

12. NuclearCookie

NuclearCookie Member

May 28, 2011
    ITS ALWAYS THERE HOW DO PEOPLE READ JUST THE PARTS WITH ICONS SMH FML

Skulls_n_Souls likes this.
  13. Skulls_n_Souls

Skulls_n_Souls Member

May 17, 2012
    Kinda reminded me of Master Yi
    My review will be a bit chaotic, as I will not do this ability-by-ability.

I actually expected his skills to be a tad more powerful than this with that innate. It's true that he has pretty low cooldowns, but still his abilities are very limited due to his fatigue thing. It's like "I have very low cd's but I still have to wait 6 seconds to cast another ability. So yay on my low cd's."
    I suggest you increase all cd's (by 1 second tops) and reduce manacost/increase damage from your abilities. Or just boost his statistics.

Respite: I think Althen should be able to cancel the silence effect anytime in its duration. Darining ALL fatigue sounds a bit over the edge. Here are my proposed changes:
    1. Respite heals based on your current fatigue points at the moment of cast instead of those that are drained.
    2. Respite drains a steady amount per second instead of ALL your fatigue points in its duration.
    3. Can be canceled by casting again or clicking the buff icon.

All of your talents except level 25 right talent feel underwhelming and can be boosted. In addition, I suggest you replace one of the talents with +armor reduction from Cross Counter or make it decrease enemies' armor by 50% of yours.

btw I can't see cast animation anywhere including advanced statistics :cat: