1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Countering X

Discussion in 'Advanced Mechanics' started by GoD_Tyr, Jan 17, 2018.

1. GoD_Tyr

GoD_Tyr Member

Jun 10, 2009
    I would need a assistance from someone who could tell me: which abilities and items counter X, aka break the spell before return happens? So far as I know:
    -Euls
    -Astral imprisoment

Please add more, I would like to know which skill and item is the best to effectively counter the spell, aka stopping it before it returns the targeted hero.

2. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Items
    BKB. A well timed Force Staff/Hurricane Pike. Aeon Disk is a special mention because of the despell during the combo, you'll still get dragged back, but his combo will fail. Linken will stop it from even marking you to begin with.

Abilities - any abilities granting invulnerability
    Disruption/Astral
    Sleight of Fist, Omnislash, Phase Shift etc

Magic Immunity
    Repel
    Lifebreak cast during X's return will prevent you from returning
    Rage

3. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    duble_dragon already mentioned most methods I can think of that stop it before you get returned.

Then there are also abilities that save allies after they return the targeted hero such as Weaver's aghanims, or test of faith (chen sendback).

4. GoD_Tyr

GoD_Tyr Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks for the answers, I would like to be more specific, and if u have some good suggestions - how to cut enemy self-cast X on himself, I mean, best hero/skill to counter that, and item in general.

5. vvjacobo

vvjacobo Member

Jun 10, 2009
    The best hero to counter the x marking himself is seeker, one well timed rupture and he will take lots of damage going back.
    Any other "banish like" skills or items can also do it if team is bad, xmark on allies last 8 second so he can always wait banish to end and bring team member back (because good kunnkas dont xmark themself to xmark push, that is risky).
    If you are out of those follow the ilusion pushing counter: You smoke and go from behind to fish the syren/kunnka trying to take the base from 2 screens away.

6. duble_dragon

duble_dragon Member

Jul 10, 2009
    In this regard, your options a little bit more limited. Banish abilities will indeed hold him in place and prevent the X from returning him. If you have vision of the original X mark, glimpse will bring him back (Thunder strike will help with the vision). A well timed meat hook can also fish him out, though this is significantly harder since he controls the return within the 8 second window. Rubick with a stolen X is probably the biggest cheese to keep him where you want him.

7. Abstract.Raze

Abstract.Raze Member

Mar 14, 2012
    So far I know, Eul isn't a 100% impediment or counter, because the mark isn't desmontable as long Kunka doesn't returns the spot, but noobs think that Eul or Astral.I, etc... is a counter when in fact Kunka could return the spot after Eul, A.I, etc... ends, depending on which person is playing Kunka, if it's a person with an advanced intuition as well capability to study tendencies such like YajirobeFromDC, Kunka would have most times the last word about it.

The only thing which stops Kunka's mark "cast" is Linken, but for example, if Linken
    is on cooldown and Kunka marks the target, then Kunka returns the spot while Linken isn't anymore on cooldown, not even Linken stops it.

Don't listen those trolls on the top.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  8. EebstertheGreat

EebstertheGreat Forum Manager Staff Member

Sep 3, 2009
    The problem with most of these solutions is that the X lasts 8 seconds, so Kunkka can always choose to retrieve his teammate a few seconds early if a threat exists of something like Disruption. If you try to stop him by casting Disruption early, he can just wait until it ends.

Of course, if Kunkka is around, you can always disable or kill him to stop that, but in terms of what you can do to the Xed target . . . Not much.

9. Oesile

Oesile Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Banish + Global silence! Or you can try to use Distruptor's glimpse. IIRC you can also remove it by casting repel on your opponents.

10. GoD_Tyr

GoD_Tyr Member

Jun 10, 2009
    In that one game, I tried with Euls, I should clarify more, it was ability draft game, russian gaylord was Tinker with Dagon level 5, Travels, X mark, Furions teleport AND REARM. We tried countering him with Euls, to very limited success but it proved almost impossible to prevent him from returning back with X. In normal game, it would be relatively easy but in that one, it was close to impossible.

11. EebstertheGreat

EebstertheGreat Forum Manager Staff Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Since he is using X on himself, it is possible to simply silence and kill him, though of course you will need to be quick. It is certainly a strong combination of abilities.