1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you counter being countered?

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by Mimic, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Mimic

Mimic Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Yesterday I was playing a game of DotA and I got countered. I was wondering how to counter being countered. For example I pick hero Vengeful Spirit and the enemy pick Spirit Breaker. When we on pick screen I can see that I have been countered but I don't want to repick because Vengeful is such a good hero. What do I do?

Mae Shirayuki likes this.
  2. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Play offline wenga

Being un expected nullifies caunter picks.

So roaming am and sapport LC

3. hitsuji

hitsuji Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Outplay your enemy

4. Equivocal

Equivocal Member

Feb 26, 2012
  5. Mae Shirayuki

Mae Shirayuki Member

Oct 3, 2009
    My reply: http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=283899

6. adapt

adapt Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Counters in DotA are a funny thing. Even in pro games, pro teams very rarely, if ever, pick "hard counters" to enemy picks. Most pro teams have a habit of picking 3-4 heroes for their own specific lineups, and then 1-2 heroes purely to soft counter (almost never hard counter) specific heroes on the enemy team.

It's the same reason I laugh every time an enemy player picks Silencer or Rubick right after I pick Enigma. You just need to play around it.

7. Louie!

Louie! Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Gank them and you'll be fine, then countergank them when you're found.

adapt likes this.
  8. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Do you mean this?

Q6: what will do if 110 heroes were banned? Its not impossible.

My suggestion would be to make bans resit for each pair of players

Edit: you know what, we canmake it first come first serve bases. So every one picks 2 heroes. He gets to select hisfirst pick. If the other guy picked your own pick before you do, then you get to your second pick.

9. flamegod0

flamegod0 Member

Sep 26, 2009
    ask your teammate to counter them?
    git gud?
    or maybe just play around your enemies tactic. like, go rat+farm when they hard counter your enigma and take objective when they made a mistake/you got your core item to counter their counter. like the classical storm orchid vs AM manta scenario.
    no absolute answer as always tho. dota is quite a sandbox game when talking about strategy.

10. Rubz

Rubz Member

Jun 13, 2012
  11. Dr_JP

Dr_JP Member

Jun 26, 2009
    When a hero counters you, you must ask:

Does an active skill counter me? Then proceed to silence/increase lockdown power.

Does a passive counter me? You might go silver edge.

Any way, the best way to work around counter is using your team help, because there's no way a hero can counter the whole enemy line up (except very rare scenarios).

At last, that's the reason why you build specific items in specific situations, like Eul's against silences, BKB's against heavy lockdown power, Defiance/Pipe against heavy magic dmg oriented team, Solar Crest against heavy physical dmg oriented dmg, burst dmg against squishy line ups, and so on...

12. RNGeezus

RNGeezus New Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Recognize what counters you and play accordingly. Did they pick silencer to counter me as ember? Go a euls. Did they lastpick viper into a TA? Get lvl 3 in lane and go jungle. If you look at higher level players they will always do what they can do stay alive. Staying alive trumps a nice dmg item because if you're not alive to use the item then you're dead. /logic

13. Nisamraw

Nisamraw Member

Nov 16, 2011
    You can't avoid being countered, unless you last pick.

But similarly, you can last pick Meepo, or Brood, and free win a game because they have 0 AoE. But that's more because Meepo & brood are flawed by design.