1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

How is Weaver's Ulti and Disrupter's Glimpse Triggered?

Discussion in 'Advanced Mechanics' started by mapdesigner, Jun 11, 2017.

1. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Hello

I am wondering: does it save position for every unit for 5 seconds? so does it save position every 0.1 second or so? is that how it works? or are the steps smallers? or is there some more effecient way to trigger it?

2. FightFightFight

FightFightFight Member

Jan 30, 2014
    IceFrog's 6.83d
    Glimpse: Trigger runs every 0.25 seconds and remembers 16 steps of positions for every hero on the map, starting from the moment Disruptor was picked
    Time Lapse: Trigger runs every 0.5 seconds and remebers 10 steps of position, life and mana for every Weaver and Rubick on the map, starting from the moment the hero was picked

Daddy Sven likes this.
  3. EebstertheGreat

EebstertheGreat Forum Manager Staff Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Dota 2 is similar, but I would be surprised if the exact timings had been researched. One might hope for more frequent updates that line up better with the tick rate (32/sec), but it would be hard to tell the difference in normal circumstances.

When Weaver casts Time Lapse less than five seconds after respawning after death, DotA 1 & 2 do significantly diverge. In DotA 1, the spell will cost mana and go on cooldown but have no effect. Otherwise, his HP would be reset to 0 (dead units in WC3 always have HP set to 0), causing a suicide. But in Dota 2, the function storing Weaver's position simply doesn't run when dead, so if he casts Time Lapse immediately after respawning, he will return to the position, HP, and mana he had five seconds before death. If he instead waits one second after respawning before casting, he will be brought back to four seconds before death, as if the entire time he was dead counted as no time at all.

I'm interested if Glimpse works the same way. It doesn't have to. The other options are for it to fail (like Time Lapse in DotA 1) or for it to disregard death entirely and send the unit to its position four second ago, dead or alive. This will normally be the spot where it died and left a corpse.

4. Blamagenkind

Blamagenkind Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Yeah, glimpse works the same.

5. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
  6. Bu3ny

Bu3ny Moderator Staff Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Dota 2 Glimpse saves position on each server tick, which is every 0.03 seconds. Upon picking Disruptor, it places a permanent Glimpse modifier on all enemies, which, like an aura, is instant all the time.

Same for Time Lapse, locations, hp and mana (places modifier on all heroes on the map, it used to place it on Weaver only, but since the aghs upgrade, it does it on all).

7. EebstertheGreat

Sep 3, 2009
    So it is indeed every tick, but the question about how it handles death remains. Is the position of dead heroes stored for glimpse, or is that function effectively paused? For instance:
    t=0: hero is at position A
    t=4: hero moves to position B
    t=5: hero dies
    t=6: hero's corpse moves to position C
    t=9: hero respawns
    t=10: Glimpse is cast on hero

Does the hero move to position A, B, or C?

8. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I don't think corpses move, but I'm pretty sure I saw some pro doing die, buyback timelapse so that should at least work. So C. With Glimpse this is just very unlikely to be relevant, which is why it is an excellent question for this section :D

9. EebstertheGreat

Sep 3, 2009
    Corpses do move. Have you ever seen the bug with Spiritbreaker dying during Charge of Darkness and the corpse continuing to charge and stun the target anyway? It was on YouTube several months ago.

(Obviously CoD is supposed to stop on death, but this bug demonstrated that corpses can move.)