1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Logic behind what is accepted?

Discussion in 'Dota Modding' started by CelestialAeon, Dec 2, 2017.

1. CelestialAeon

CelestialAeon New Member

Nov 30, 2017
    I'm totally new to Dota modding, but what I've understood by browsing the workshop, it seems that there are quite a few items that have been published quite some time ago (2015-2016) which have thousands of favourites, hundreds of comments, and YET, they never have been accepted to the actual ingame store.

Is there any logic behind the way what items are accepted and how often that happens? I am bit of a surprised really - you'd think that it would be good for Valve and gamers to have more items in the store instead of being this tight when it comes to accepting new stuff.

2. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Having more items in store would increase the total game size too right? That might be an important issue, game is already above 20 gig. I have no idea what criteria are used to approve, there might be a workshop artist community that could help you out with that.

3. CelestialAeon

CelestialAeon New Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Hmmm, I'd think that the actual game size is what it is and if you decide to purchase something from the store, it would then download the new files sort of like DLC / "on need to install" basis, but of course I might be wrong. I have to see if I can find any artists discussion regarding this, thanks!

4. dewouter

dewouter Moderator Staff Member

Oct 27, 2009
    That seems unlikely, else people would have to download that when other people equip those items, that would result in long ass load times.

5. CelestialAeon

CelestialAeon New Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Ah good point. Exceptions might be mods that only affect your personal gameplay like announcer packs etc.