1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Oldfags Get in Here

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by Mr. BoB, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Animus2280

Animus2280 Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Tbh I wouldn't mind going back to dota 1 but the missing "quality of life" features makes it a real pain.

Mr. BoB likes this.
  2. Sylvanei

Sylvanei New Member

May 27, 2017
    I miss the days when people wouldn't bash every other game if it doesn't fit their very specific requirements for what a good game is.

I agree that the Blizzard brand attracts players and keeps people around, but that can only go so far. World of Warcraft is seeing one of its lowest member populations ever (roughly 1.5 million players), which is saying something given the game's history.

SC2 is still a great game to people, regardless of how many people play it or how many people are left playing it currently.

I know a good number of people play Hearthstone because it directly connects to Warcraft/World of Warcraft's lore. And it's just fun to play. It doesn't have to be taken so seriously that you have an aneurysm every single hour.

HotS does a lot of things well, and lots of people are enjoying it. People also love the fact that all the characters are basically fanservice, which is another enjoyable thing about the game. What's wrong with another decent MOBA to play if one chooses to do so?

Overwatch has millions upon millions of people that play it, AFAIK. Maybe less currently. And at least Overwatch promotes positivity and optimism, compared to almost every other MOBA that does little to promote optimism and sometimes even encourages toxicity and negativity. I'm sure it must be terrible playing a game and just enjoying it because it's fun.

Peace and love pls.

3. Animus2280

Animus2280 Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Like the fact u have to manually click courier and move ur items to inventory

4. InThoX

InThoX Member

Mar 15, 2014
    warcraft III is the GOAT RTS, sadly i discovered it when it was alrdy ded. im born '93 , so yea ... pretty much hopped right into dota back then. sadly ill never get a taste of what it mustve been like to live through the wcIII era.
    i dont think we will ever see anything like it again in RTS world (RTS is pretty much obsolete nowadays anyway, kids are not willing to play it).

would play the shit out of it again if they remaster it

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    Mr. BoB and MrFrank like this.
  5. Animus2280

Animus2280 Member

Sep 28, 2010
    there are isolated communities that still play wc3, but i'm not a fan since the imbalances make the game unexciting

6. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Animus2280:
    WC3 does need some minor adjustment but it's pretty much balanced right now.

Also it's quite hard to create perfect balance, when we're talking about so much variables as 4 races and so much heroes.

7. Animus2280

Animus2280 Member

Sep 28, 2010
    isn't undead still awful and atrocious

8. InThoX

InThoX Member

Mar 15, 2014
    duno how it is now, but the only thing i hated as a human player was elf. but u could still beat them. dont think there was imbalance per se, just more favorable matchups&maps for a race. but then again i was in pretty late.
    mirror matches were fuckin cancer thou, unless one player went a different tactic (human fast t3 vs human t2)

ill never forget when the tanks only cheese came out by humans vs elf. i think theres hardly anything more humilliating and frustrating than losing to that.

9. Siraraz

Siraraz Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Dunno, The Hive Workshop still seems pretty alive. wc3c.net dead

10. ILLUSETSUNA

ILLUSETSUNA Member

Jul 27, 2013
    But we're gonna get stuck in 6.83 again

11. frigidsoul

frigidsoul New Member

Feb 10, 2015
    still better than 7.xx era

12. Infrisios

Infrisios Moderator Staff Member

May 20, 2009
    No, it's way too outdated for modern graphics. It's possible to upgrade it, but not really worth it.
    Much more likely they'll use a different engine than the old WC3 one.

Mr. BoB likes this.
  13. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @Animus2280:
    Well the problem with Undead in the last couple of years is the Orc being a bit strong against them, they manage to do more than well against the other races, but their lack of representation was due to Orc popularity and their unfavorable match-up in tournaments against those.

Then again, in the recent years Undead has developed the most and now don't have so much problems against Orc.

The fact remains that Blade Master is quite powerful and I personally want him to be balanced, you won't see any other hero as first for Orcs, not because they are weak, but because BM is so strong and shadow any other hero in the game with his scaling.

As far as the WC3 scene - it is very small, but still kicking.
    Chinese scene is the biggest in the competitive sense and with some free-servers like Garena and Eurobattle.net have enough population to present good games for the participants to enjoy custom maps or vanilla/ladder.

14. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Remastered these days means every female character gets dressed up in a hijab doesn't it?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 11:23 AM
  15. RashardLewis

RashardLewis New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I'm still playing WC3 DotA All-Stars on ICCup, I'm always never liked Valve greedy ass organizated fake Dota 2

16. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Which post in old PD did you copy this from?

17. vvjacobo

vvjacobo Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Diablo 2 was great, developers asked for more pay an they had to leave the company.
    Stacraft was great, developers asked for more pay an they had to leave the company.
    Blizzard is a fucking greedy company where only the worst endure.

They didnt triumph because of company good job, just because they were lucky and hired really good talented people, yet they didn't have the wiseness to keep them. Now the company sucks as the inevitable result.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 10:01 AM
  18. Bargh

Bargh Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Questionable, but I think in 6.83 you atleast had early-game agression compared to safety-nets of 7+. You can counter op late-snipers by just dcing and going for another game tho :cat:

19. Animus2280

Animus2280 Member

Sep 28, 2010
    i think people pining for the old dota 1 days is misplaced nostalgia, and the sooner you accept 99.9% of players are either toxic wastedumps or atrociously low skilled idiots, the happier you'll be

the way the game is designed is the #1 cause of the toxicity, tbh, but that's another subject. i guarantee if u stop playing dota and just do something else (play another game, stop playign games altogether, whatever) you won't want to come back after 3 or so months

kamukag3e, Mr. BoB and Daddy Sven like this.
  20. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Sniper was never OP in 6.83 to begin with. The hero's so called OP ability deals more than twice as much damage now and can be spammed like crazy. He was still squish, he was still easy to gank, he however finally had an ability which allowed him to get some early kills as well.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 3:11 AM