1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Please don't say chingchong to Chinese

Discussion in 'Dota Chat' started by 三千院风, Nov 6, 2018.

1. 三千院风

三千院风 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Say chingchong to Chinese = say nigger to black people
    They are all racial discrimination.

2. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Don't be offended
    Insert "graph of racism goes to 0" here.

Actually I think it's more offensive, because 'nigger' comes from slang (which is basically illiterate people's way to say a word) of the word "negro" which is the Spanish word for "black".
    So whoever say "nigger" while trying to insult black people is actually saying he is stupid enough to not know these things.
    "ching-chong" on another hand is pure insult for Asian people, mainly Chinese.

But understand that insults are taken and not given. Ignoring idiots and not paying them any attention is the best way to deal with them. It's also a sign of maturity in most cultures.

DotA 2 have the irreplaceable feature of ignoring incoming chat or voice of certain players.

三千院风 likes this.
  3. 三千院风

三千院风 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Thanks for your reply.
    I manage a forum in China, a lot of people are angry.
    They said Skem and Kuku need to be punished, because they are pro-players.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  4. Mimic

Mimic Member

Aug 30, 2011
    There is nothing you can do about it, and advocating on this dead, molten, abyss of a forum will do nothing to support your cause.

The best thing you can do to avoid it is to go out to your nearest rice field to escape the internet for a bit- or just close your laptop. Trying to stop racism is like trying to boil the ocean.

Also racism is not the same as discrimination. Just thought you should know because I'm super politically correct.

HHHNNNGGG and 三千院风 like this.
  5. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @三千院风:
    Just as Mimic stated - being racist is not a crime - discrimination based on some feature - like country of origin is.
    Racism is when you state your hatred about certain group of people.
    Discrimination is taking actions against certain group of people.

Basically - banning those players for offending Chinese people/players is discrimination or could easily be seen as that.

I'm aware that China is not loved by small neighboring countries, being better economically and highly pressuring them on multiple fronts - basically doing 'bully' stuff. So such remarks from Philippine players should be expected. It just shows how shallow and immature they are. But the same for those users from your forum trying to lynch them as answer.

'a lot of people are angry' should be used here.

三千院风 likes this.
  6. 三千院风

三千院风 Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Learned a lot from you, I didn't think so much.
    Edited :)
    And thank you too. @Mimic

kamukag3e and Mimic like this.
  7. Abstract.Raze

Abstract.Raze Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Well, here in Germany, the game Rock–paper–scissors, is called Ching-Chang-Chong:

8. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    ChongChing Major.

9. Rubz

Rubz Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Also in South Africa amongst the Afrikaner people. But we call it ching chong cha. Don't know why lol.

10. Equivocal

Equivocal Member

Feb 26, 2012
    You want me to type you know what instead so cops will confiscate your home computer?

11. effreit89

effreit89 Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I mean, how can you be offended by something, as you said it, doesn't really mean anything to you?

For the record, "chong" even means "brother" or "friend" in Filipino.. Ching might just be a slang or local shorthand for Chinese or you know the relatively recent Chinese dynasty up until like the 1900s - propbaly reason why Ching is associated to modern chinese people.

Or as you said it, the chinese language is really friggin complex and no one can learn it passively unless you actually spend time to learn it. TBF, ching and chong does appear (or atleast sounds close) frequently whenever chinese are talking to each other to others who doesn't know mandarin or cantonese or whatever. I actually observed (and amazed) that most of the chinese words have only like 1 syllable?

You know like, calling a random Russian guy "Boris" or "Vladimir".

these things should not be taken as offensive - and I can assure you it is not meant like that. It is more of a friendly quip and just that.

Racism is the random garbage written in the above post. I mean, only actual racist fags can string offensive words together like that.
    Do you mean you are Wealthier? Stronger? Taller? More Educated? or you just associate yourself to the actually great people who happens to be Chinese?

What's actually offensive is collectively calling independent, self identified people of a nation as subhumans or monkeys.

Ching chong.. pfftt.. clap clap for trying to get sympathy on the interwebz

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 1:40 PM
  12. mapdesigner

mapdesigner Member

Aug 11, 2011
  13. Mahoroty

Mahoroty Member

Jan 25, 2010
  14. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Nigger comes from the word Niger which is/was a Nigerian. Nigerians who offered themselves up a slaves after attacking and losing to the colonists.

Not being allowed to discriminate is usually found in the constitution of laws and now laws themselves. This means that discrimination by the state is illegal but civilians can still do whatever they like. It does imply that civilians do not gain/lose rights when dealing with a certain other group of people, since the laws that are there are supposed to be equal for everyone due to that constitutional law. But civilians are free to associate and disassociate with people depending on ANY features these people might have. Whenever a politician is trying to invoke constitutional law against someone you can safely assume that this politician is lying.

15. frigidsoul

frigidsoul Member

Feb 10, 2015
    who wrote that?

16. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @GoLD-ReaVeR:
    You are right about the laws, but you are forgetting that the laws also affect some cases where civilians interact between each other. And thus most of the cases where someone is taking action of discriminating against certain group - it could be against the law.

Now, you can discriminate smart, by not revealing but just put certain traits as 'requirements' which are not in general found in that group you wish to discriminate against and be relatively safe against most laws.

But my point stands - because in general being racist is not crime, taking actions against a certain group (basically making active discrimination) in most cases is.

17. MrFrank

MrFrank Member

Oct 8, 2016
    One of the million people review-bombing Dota 2 on Steam.

frigidsoul likes this.
  18. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    That's pretty good diction for someone claiming to be chinese.

19. GoLD-ReaVeR

GoLD-ReaVeR Member

Feb 19, 2014
    They don't need to be punished, you are free to associate/disassociate as people with them. Nothing good will come of going after their jobs and in the end everyone will be in the shit. Because everyone knows that when the chinese go ching-chonging in the presence of a non-chinese, they are gossiping like mad.

I also don't see how people can be offended about words that signify that the language is hard to understand to western people. For you it's a good way to communicate, for us it sounds like ching-chong and we simply cannot comprehend wtf you're saying. That is all, that is the joke.