1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Politics of the United States - Aftermath of 2016 Election

Discussion in 'World News & Debate' started by HHHNNNGGG, Oct 8, 2016.

1. r0xo

r0xo Member

Dec 9, 2012
    From South Africa. I think a bill like this might not need that kind of majority and I am not 100% sure when that needs to be reached but I am close to certain that any major law change needs a 66% majority.

There are certain things that don't work that way, like for instance courts decided that weed should be legalised without any congressional input, they can appeal the decision but it is pretty much set in stone after the court decision. And our tax rules are changed by the minister of finance, MP's don't vote on it or anything. I am sure certain things in tax law would require a vote but for instance changing rates etc is all on him. So its not like details within laws require that majority but there are levels.

Well yeah I know what majority means but I knew that there was a chance that congressional majority means something other than 50%.

2. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    I notice that ANC doesn't have 66% of the seats in your Parliament. Does that mean whenever they want to make a law they require support of the smaller parties?

3. Nezekan

Nezekan Moderator Staff Member

Jan 17, 2011
    66% is actually a very good idea in a two party system. If I remember correctly, there were some efforts to make it happen in 2012 but it didn't succeed I think.

4. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Sounds like a horrible system that would never work in the US.

How many times has one party controlled 66% of the house? How often would members from one party break ranks to vote with the other party?

Very little gets done in the US when one party controls Congress, and the other controls the Senate.

5. Nezekan

Nezekan Moderator Staff Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Yes votes only need 51% of the vote to pass. What I am referring to is cloture. Before a bill can be voted on, debate must be taken. Ending a debate also requires 51%, but then a filibuster can be thrown, and that is what requires 60%. It is a cloture vote to break the filibuster.

After double checking, the said efforts did not fail completely.

6. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Did you know? If you stop eating altogether, you can save up to $1,000 a month! :cat:
    And if you stop living, then you would have no expenses at all.

Seriously though. Most people don't drink coffee or eat avocado toasts. Some rich people came up and started peddling the myth that millenials can't afford homes because of avocado toasts to cover up the fact that the economy is fucked up. Now this myth all these variations and gains traction from the overall millenial hating. Some big companies also accused millenials of not buying diamonds and being "promiscuous" customers, i.e. not having brand loyalty to a certain brand for the entirety of their lives.

But let's say this claim has some merit. If a cup of coffee costs $4, and you buy one every day, that's $120 a month, $1440 a year, and over 30 years that would be $43,200. Maybe that would be enough for a home in some distant village in Wyoming, but it won't buy you a home in any major or even minor city. The median cost of a house is $188,900. Right now. In 30 years, a house would cost a lot more, plus inflation. Even if what you saved could be the downpayment, you won't have mortgage of $120 a month. lol

According to the International Monetary Fund, Israel has a housing problem.

As far as I know, this crisis has been ongoing since Netanyahu's election because you can find articles form 2010 like As Israelis Turn Their Backs on Home Ownership, Rents Soar.

What research are your claims based on?

7. Blarrg

Blarrg Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Its not a myth. Most people do drink coffee at least once a week. Over 40% of people age 18-24 drink coffee daily, and millennials go out to eat more often than other generations.

Is it the reason they can't afford a house? Probably not, because we spend less in other areas. But the statistic itself is still true.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  8. lovestep

lovestep Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Lmao yeah right.
    I see you kids in Cali everyday. Paying $50 for a cup of sewer water at starbucks and then you complain that you can't afford rent.
    Fuck off man. The problem is that most of the brainwashed millenial autists want to live "the good life" like the fame whores they follow on instagram but it turns out they can't afford it because instead of actually being relevant to society and making an income from it they spend their time making fame whores rich.

But no problem, you can always apply for a mortgage and support the IDF in the process like a good goy.

9. r0xo

r0xo Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Indeed. Like I said I think amendments and so on don't always require that but in short that is the case. But with how strong the party loyalty is in the ANC they don't need to convince many others to vote with them. And of course many things that need to be voted on aren't necessarily things that go against another party's views.

I think you make a good point, it would be great in an ideal world with objective voters. Sadly I think this kind of rule is even more important in two party systems.

10. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Facebook To Inform Users If They Fell For Russian Election Propaganda.

A while ago there was an interesting piece about Finland: Why Is Finland Able to Fend Off Putin’s Information War? Finland is an interesting case, indeed. They declared independence from Russia on December 6, 1917 (so they celebrated 100 years of independence yesterday), and since then they have become one of the least corrupt and one of the happiest countries on Earth. Of course, Finland is a very small country population-wise, and it is pretty monoethnic, which renders Russian race baits ineffective, but there is still a lesson to learn on how to fend off Russian propaganda machine, even when you are a minor player on the world stage.

In general, Europe seems to be resisting the Russian propaganda pretty well: Pilots stop 222 asylum seekers being deported from Germany by refusing to fly (inb4 "beta cucks" and "race traitors" :cat: ).

Europe is also developing clean energy: Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Siemens to develop hybrid plane.

Meanwhile in America: Americans Bought Enough Guns on Black Friday to Arm the Marine Corps. But maybe these guns will be used to kill the rich? :cat: Who knows at this point...

11. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Some more spicy takes on the topic: whereas in USSR citizens were violently forced into state capitalism, Western capitalism manages to rule by manufacturing consent through ideology rather than through a telegraphed dystopia. The true secret to totalitarian control is building a society where nobody questions the ideology itself and consents to be a cog in the machine without even realizing it.

Additionally, poverty in general is demonized in the US. Whereas around the world you can find stories like Robin Hood stealing from the rich to give to the poor and a general attitude towards poor people being unfortunate, in the US poor people are the scapegoats are expected to only blame themselves for not working harder... even though we have a whole system which monitors who can and cannot access upward social mobility.

Even white collar workers who think that they "made it" by working for the ruling elites who control the production and finances hate on poor people because they live in their own illusion of meritocracy (thinking they somehow "deserved" what they have, or deserve it more than others).

Everything that poor people do is met with resentment, while rich people can wipe their asses with hundred dollar bills, and no one would bat an eye. Coffee just happens to be one of the cheaper pleasures people in this country can afford. Pic related.

[​IMG]

12. Seethe

Seethe Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Ah yes renting, the money you spend in 5 years to sleep in a bed, that could've nailed you a house instead. So glad I own two, thanks to my grandfather and my parents, fuck that rental garbage.

Ostarion likes this.
  13. Petique

Petique Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Oh, can't wait from the corporations to tell me what is the truth and what isn't! What can possibly go wrong?

Seems to me you are carrying water for the Kremlin too and you don't even get paid because the majority of your posts on this forum is about race baiting.

First of all what the fuck does this even have to do with Russian propaganda? Secondly those people should be fired for not doing their jobs.

14. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I know I say that there is no left wing in the US — because there really isn't — but apparently I was wrong. The truth has been revealed, big boys. We are all manipulated by the pan-American left. Even the right is actually leftist.

[​IMG]

15. r0xo

r0xo Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Yeah that shaming thing is just stupid. Why the hell do you care? Its not your life. Yeah some people take it a bit far with luxuries and prevent themselves from getting to that better life but as someone who has been poor, those little luxuries every now and then can be harmless yet help out a lot. After a whole month of eating cheap food because that is what you can afford a super indulgent day with expensive food and overpriced coffee makes you feel better about your shitty financial position.

As for the rich people wasting money. Well they are wasting money that they can afford. They already have enough to give their children what they need, to support their family and provide for their own futures. They have attained all those things people see as necessities and that is why they aren't shamed. But yeah the donate thing is just dumb.

You make a really good point with that pic and I agree.

16. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    The thing that a lot of people don't seem to understand is that if you spend 10% less on random stuff, that can be the difference between saving every month and falling behind.

If you rent an apartment that is 10% cheaper, buy clothes on discount, and make your own coffee instead of spending 6$ or 15 shekels or whatever, you can be saving a 2-3 hundred dollars a month. Which is around 3000$ a year, which is 15000$ in 5 years. Hey, now you're pretty close to a downpayment in a cheap city.

The thing is a lot of people aren't brought up this way, especially in the west. I'm sounding like my father now.

17. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
  18. ManOnTheCan

ManOnTheCan Member

Aug 18, 2013
    The entire US isn't San Francisco.

Should we really take your comments on finances seriously when you think a "cheap 1-bedroom" is 3000$?

You're really disconnected from reality.

19. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Like I said, the best way to save money is to just die. Because if you want to save on everything in your life, what is exactly the point of living? To always deprave yourself and have the worst things? I am sorry, I don't believe in the kingdom of Jesus and afterlife, so I intend to enjoy my life right now.

Sure, money won't buy you happiness, and you can have a fulfilling life living in a small room and wearing rugs, but if you ask an average person, they would rather not have such a lifestyle. I can dig deeper and explore how capitalism shapes our consumerist attitude and the desire to have things, but it would only be an explanation, and people would still want things.

And yes, some people give up earthly pleasure and give up society and yada yada, but are any of them here? No? Ok, thought so. :cat:

20. enrico.swagolo

enrico.swagolo Member

Mar 23, 2014
    More like you completely missed the point of my post, which was to demonstrate the growing wealth disparity in this country... which is why at this point in time the US falls under the definition of a third-world country.