1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

S4 and Brewmaster

Discussion in 'Competitive' started by justsightseeing, Oct 6, 2017.

1. justsightseeing

justsightseeing Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Why OG really like their offlane to pick brew? is there any reason why brew is picked so much by this team while almost ignored by others?
    i mean, if hero have prominent strength, you will see its getting picked here and there (MK mid/carry, doom offlane, cancertrio veno-lich-necro) but not brew, i see him almost exclusively on S4 and he is pretty successful playing that hero.

So, what? what does the hero does better and what strength does only OG see in brew?

disclaimer: OG is not optic gaming

2. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    The thing with Brew is that he is far better in organized games in comparison to public ones.

A team working around timings and coordinating rotations, fights and their whole strategy around his shortcomings is important to draw out his maximum potential.
    On the side of pros - he is very durable straight from level 1 and able to pressure and make kills from the start until around the 35 minute mark. His spells render a lot of heroes useless - especially those which rely on physical damage. His ultimate used in team-fight when the enemy are committed and cannot escape is devastating, disable and DPS on another level.

His weak once it past the 35 minute mark and a clear advantage is not achieved, that's the reason other teams prefer to get heroes with better scaling. His Ultimate not only fall of hard into the late-game, it prevents him from using and utilizing multiple items, it's bad for skirmishes and in fights against very mobile enemy which are not pinned down.

For comparison the other popular picks are quite underwhelming on level 1, few of them until they get some power spike (usually around level 5 or 6) and until that just try to survive. Panda on the other hand supported by one roamer can wreck dual lane straight from level 1.
    So while other teams play it safe and try to play around the fact that high ground is easily defend-able to prolong a game and have heroes which can contribute at the ultra late-game, OG try to abuse timings and gain enough advantage from early to mid game, so they are able to end the game right there or have enough gold (or other picks) to cover that weakness.

3. justsightseeing

justsightseeing Member

Jan 31, 2010
    @kamukag3e thats is quite insightful of you.. so S4 brew to secure very early game while OG later draft compose by heroes that able to capitalize that early advantage to secure late game..

TBH, i really not impressed by brew, but seeing how OG play around him and make their enemy respect-ban S4 brew just intriguing for me... but imo, i still think brew arent better than some top tier offlaner like bat / DS / enigma / void / bristle / etc

4. kamukag3e

kamukag3e Member

Jun 11, 2009
    @justsightseeing:
    But you see, all of those you mentioned are 'one trick monsters',
    they are powerful but their strengths at levels 1-3 is pathetic.
    Nearly any support can zone them out and/or trade with them that early.

Now imagine that you as a support trade hits with Pandaren who has his stout shield and there is a roamer on the loose (Riki, Spirit Breaker, Earth Spirit), which can pop-up any time and kill you with the additional damage and slow provided by Panda. And that's straight from level 1.
    If a support is unable to zone the offlaner, he is going to hit important levels much earlier, especially important for timings and strategies. If support is dead however, the lane is lost against a hero like Pandaren, very few heroes can contest his lane or out-last hit him alone.

Yes, as mentioned if the game drags I would prefer to have any other hero as #3 instead of Pandaren, but if he manage to secure enough early-mid game advantage and the other heroes get big enough - who cares, the game will be in the bag despite that.
    One more thing to point out - Drunken Haze is really powerful anti-carry tool and very potent skirmish ability.
    25 mana, 5 seconds cooldown on 4,5 duration time, persist through BKB (if placed before BKB is popped)
    850 cast range, 70% miss chance and 40% slow.