1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

The Readers' & Writers' Lounge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction & Literature' started by Eli_Green, Oct 8, 2016.

1. RaDoNz

RaDoNz Member

Sep 26, 2009
    I was here attempting to browse through my old works, as well as my former FFnL comrades'..

The archive is down?

2. carlvic

carlvic Moderator Staff Member

Aug 3, 2009
    The archive is down. I could access it a few months ago, but IDK what happened.

3. SpiritBaker

SpiritBaker Member

Dec 28, 2012
    Ye Olden PeeDee so dead, it attracts valkyries. And one of the wael-carriers seems to be me.

4. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    No Merry Christmas posts. No Happy New Year shenanigans posts. No spam. Last post was nine weeks ago.

I guess I picked a bad time to read back.

5. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    It's been three days since my last post here. Back in the day, I would've already been swarmed by page upon page of replies in that duration.

I guess the times, they are a-changin'...

6. Jazdia

Jazdia Member

May 28, 2014
    For the sake of decency, I will answer it here.
    I was writing a one-shot story back then, using this username.

Formerly, we were using an account under the name of High_elf_ranger. It was used mutually by me and my friend until he decided to move to another city and we finally made our accounts separately.

7. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Ah, yeah. I remember. That was a very long time ago.

8. tanan

tanan Member

Jan 9, 2010
    @Kriegskanzler ? Is that really you?

Holy shitting sun, moon, stars... How many years has it been?!!!

Still remember me? Damn this gives me back a whole good dose of nostalgia!

How's it going krieg? Been busy all these years?

9. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Yeah, its me, @tanan. Things are going. I've been busy pursuing something I thought I wanted to be.

10. tanan

tanan Member

Jan 9, 2010
    @Kriegskanzler , if I remember correctly, you were studying a medical field right? Psychology perhaps?
    As for me, I'm still stuck working as a computer engineer but last year, I've finally embraced my passion for writing and I'm now writing stories that I intend to publish someday (could be this year or next).

Do you still write? Your stories were really good, especially that Valentines story you made as an entry for an ELWB with love as a theme.

11. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    I was studying medicine at that time. That was six years ago.

That's good. Looking forward to reading your work one day. Anvil Publishing accepts manuscripts for proofreading every April, if I recall correctly.

I don't write fiction anymore. At least not for myself. Although I do dabble in a bit of poetry from time to time, in a bid to somehow make myself feel like some intellectual rebel.

And no, I don't think I can agree with you. I'm not saying this to appear modest. Looking back, my works at PD were mediocre at best. Reading back at some of them made me cringe. But I'm thankful for your appreciation of my work.

12. tanan

tanan Member

Jan 9, 2010
    It's just amazing how time flies. I realized that I still have my old signature and I'm shocked at how long I was here in this forum even on its first inceptions.

Lurking dota sites since 2005... Damn I feel old.

Thanks. I'm actually in Wattpad where I'm posting my work until I complete it and find a publishing company here in Cebu. I've also enrolled in a Writing workshop which is a good plus for me as it gives me the support to finish my work.

Here is a link to my work in Wattpad: https://www.wattpad.com/story/132926486-highschool-death-squad

I remember I once judged an ELWB and there was a poem entry. I stated to the contestant that I actually have no idea on how to interpret or how to "feel" poetry.

For years I thought poetry was a cute past time for rhyming words until I saw a friend performed Slam Poetry. That was when I realized the sheer emotions you get from it.

I now have a much greater respect for poetry and yes, I'd really love to read your new works.

We all wrote shit back in the day. If you want to torture me, you only need to strap me to a chair, tape my eyes wide open, and force me to read my old works. They are cringy as fuck.

But I once had a serious "soul-searching" event last year that made me think about what I was doing in my life and I realized that I really want to be a Writer. That realization hit me hard. For years I wanted to deny my old works and just try to forget that they even existed but I can't do that. What's more, if it wasn't for the works I made here, back in the day, I won't be where I'm now, seriously pursuing my PASSION for writing.

It was here in this forum that my Passion for Writing started and it was you guys back then that gave me the inspiration to Write.

For that, you have my eternal thanks. :D

13. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Don't we all.

Hmm... afaik if you want to transition from online writing to publishing, I believe you should refrain from posting your stuff online. Iirc publishers don't really like it when the stuff they'll want to print is something that is already out there. Something about first rights and income.

To continue the vein of feeling like an intellectual rebel, my fascination for poetry grew in going to events of spoken word poetry. To actually hear the emotion and the flow of the rhythm and rhymes of a piece only serves to fuel the drive to write your own.

I still do, lol.

14. Jazdia

Jazdia Member

May 28, 2014
    Everyone starts somewhere, and usually from the bottom. So instead of badmouthing my old works, prefer to remember them as some kind of mementos, and stepping stones to write better.

Quite the opposite here in Indonesia. Some stories got published by major companies because it was popular on a certain platform like wattpad.

15. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Probably because the story at Wattpad wasnt complete yet, much like in forums like this where the story is episodic. From there, the writer is required to write the continuation of his originally postes story. Wouldnt make sense to sell something that everyone can access for free and conveniently at that.

16. Jazdia

Jazdia Member

May 28, 2014
    They were completed stories. Some publisher requires the author to permanently delete the online version first before printing the story, the rest, I do not know.

17. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    In that case, then that's probably one of the main reasons the book did not go outside the country.

18. Kriegskanzler

Kriegskanzler Member

Jan 26, 2010
    My necromancy skills are not good enough, it seems.

19. carlvic

carlvic Moderator Staff Member

Aug 3, 2009
    I notice necromancy. I good noticer.

20. SpiritBaker

SpiritBaker Member

Dec 28, 2012
    What is this oldfag flood? It almost gives me flashbacks of the cringe days. Luckily that has all been purged from memory (courtesy of the old pd archive being offline)