1. Hello and welcome to the brand new home for PlayDota!
    Please read through our Welcome thread to see what's new!
    Dismiss Notice

Your manga thought of the day

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Discussion' started by HHHNNNGGG, Oct 8, 2016.

1. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    >tfw Sven reads Yuri

Btw Trump on Inu Yashiki now lmao
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Daddy Sven

Daddy Sven Moderator Staff Member

Jun 22, 2010
    If the story and characters are fun, I'ma check it out. Has to be tame though, not really into highly sexual and overly lewd scenes in manga tbh. 19 Days is pretty tame and has some pretty funny and adorable scenes.

[​IMG]

3. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    [​IMG]

>tfw Gate of Bootylon isn't enough

4. Louie!

Louie! Member

Jul 19, 2010
  5. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
  6. 1Frame_Dynamism

1Frame_Dynamism Member

Aug 7, 2009
    A lot of the humor of things like DFrag/Steins;Gate seem much more appropriate for film-like motion/pacing/sequencing than in written/image form, whether that's the manga or game those originally were from/etc.

To me, even games like undertale seem way more fit as 'written-format' and I think that medium would be way more fitting that video-game.
    Fun to think how things work in different mediums. Even the same thing well-translated between 2 mediums of story-telling carry a vastly different essence to them. It's a different story altogether, and I think the way the manga-meta (same with comics, novels, etc) are lagging a bit behind in terms of the things they're AIMING to capture while remaining somewhat in their infrastructure.

I expect almost more 'art-of' books to become a more common format of illustrated-written medium for these things. A 'manga' but stylized more like... I donno, 'the Art of the making of the movie' type books. Like what you'd find about a Ghibli film with annotations and varied art-styles to explore what 'story-telling' is again.
    At least, that's what I'm hoping to see, and looking to explore myself, and expect it to get here, just wondering 'when' and 'how' really...

7. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    [​IMG]

Kazumi still wants to butt in after when they all ascend to another realm.

8. RisaStoleMyHart

RisaStoleMyHart Moderator Staff Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Apparently 1 more page after that which the translating team forgot to do, but it's nothing. This most likely got axed at the end but it wasn't that great to begin with anyway.

9. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Just marathoned through 50 chapters of Bokura no Kiseki. Worth it. Note: Each chapter can be 60-70 pages long.

This series is pretty interesting, with all of the mysteries and psychological aspects. You can write it off as another "isekai" trope, but it actually has a twist.

10. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Okamoto Lynn is drawing Hentai lmao.

11. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    Started Jojo part 5 and fuck I'm loving it so much right now.

This panel is pure gold.

[​IMG]

this one too. <3

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  12. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    King Crimson vs Metallica, holy shit that was a brutal fight!

[​IMG]

13. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    I find that part V's final villain is a bit of a pussy and doesn't strike me an impact like DIO or Kira. Well, part VI's pussy Pucci ain't better, though.

14. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
    Diavolo is fine, he was simply way underdeveloped. He fell flat because there was no formal introduction and not proper elaboration on his motives. Unlike Kira who stated multiple times what he wanted, with Diavolo we didn't really get that. "I want to be king of the world" is a very flat goal. In the beginning where he was going on about being at the climax, he sounded more interesting, like he has something very specific in mind. Another thing which ruined him a bit for me is his introduction. The gang saw him for the first time when his soul was swapped by that of Bruno. And then the whole who's who, what's going on segment and abrupt death of Doppio really didn't help. Like, if Doppio infiltrated the team, even if just for a short time... or not, if Doppio had his own team which was hunting the gang, but nobody was aware that he was actually Diavolo, then he would've felt more impactful. Despite the strength of his stand, there were many segments which really downplayed him and didn't really display him as that much more powerful than the rest of the stand users they faced.

Loved part 5, but the ending felt really rushed and not all that grand.

15. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Probably so, as I find that Diavolo doesn't have the "superpower" vibe behind him. Most final bosses are OP af, and they don't let enemy give even a scratch until the final fight between main character and the main villain. Diavolo, despite his King Crimson's OPness he doesn't appear nigh-invincible.

>tfw part V's final boss is actually Silver Chariot Requiem.

I like Giorno's Stand the most amongst all JoJo's Stands. Gold Experience's flexibility always attracts my interest.

Daddy Sven likes this.
  16. adapt

adapt Member

Apr 30, 2011
    So how about that latest One Piece chapter? Sure made me hungry.

On an unrelated note, I started reading Vinland Saga and I'm about halfway through and... I don't really enjoy it that much. Anyone here reads it and can tell me whether it gets better?

17. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
  18. Daddy Sven

Jun 22, 2010
  19. HHHNNNGGG

HHHNNNGGG Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Spotted Flower's recent chapter is, damn, holy shit.